To get the best from fresh vegetables:
- pick the best quality vegetables
- store correctly until use
- wash thoroughly
- cut vegetables into evenly sized pieces
- leave skin on if suitable
- prepare as close to cooking time as possible
- cook until tender but still slightly crisp
Which cooking method to use for which vegetable?
- Most vegetables suit many different cooking methods.
- The versatility of preparation, cooking and serving is a great attribute of vegetables.
- Be inspired, think variety, think vegetables.
- Dense vegetables require longer cooking times e.g. carrots, potatoes, kumara.
- Vegetables with a higher water content cook faster e.g. capsicums, leafy greens.