Vegetables and 5+ a Day
5 A Day is the fun and easy way to remind you to eat lots of fruit and vegetables every day.
How many servings a day?
- At least 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit = 5 servings a day. The New Zealand guidelines' recommendation of five servings per day is seen as a minimum requirement for good health.
What is a serving?
- A serving is about a handful; use your own hand. Therefore a child's serving will be smaller than an adult's.
Why eat coloured vegetables?
- To stay fit and healthy eat a mixture of coloured vegetables or fruit every day.
- Many compounds that give coloured fruit and vegetables their colour also make them healthy foods, e.g. vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients (fight-o-nutrients).
- Each colour group contains different phytonutrients and compounds so choose from all the colour groups.