Citrus glazed carrots
This glaze is fantastic on carrots and many other vegetables such as, parsnips, swedes, kūmara, turnips, pumpkin or yams.
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into sticks
1 Tbsp canola oil
½-1 Tbsp runny honey or brown sugar
1 tsp finely grated citrus rind (orange, lemon or lime)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp chopped parsley or coriander
Steam or boil carrots until just tender.
Heat oil in heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Add honey and stir until dissolved.
Add citrus rind and pepper. Pour over carrots and serve sprinkled with parsley or coriander.
To boil carrots:
- Place carrots in a saucepan and add sufficient cold water to just cover.
- Place a lid on the saucepan and bring to the boil as quickly as possible, reduce heat and simmer gently.
- Cook until tender when tested with a skewer or tip of a knife.
- Add extra boiling water if necessary. Drain and serve.
Note: Always simmer vegetables as vigorous boiling will cause some vegetables to break up.
12-15 minutes for harder vegetables, e.g. carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, turnips, yams
18-20 minutes for starchy vegetables, e.g. kumara, potatoes, swedes
To steam carrots:
Steamed vegetables (cooked over boiling water in a steamer) do not need seasoning as vitamins and flavour are not lost in cooking water.
- Choose a saucepan with a steamer. Half fill the saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
- Place carrots in the steamer making sure they do not touch the water.
- Cover and adjust the heat to a steady simmer.
- Cook until carrots are tender. Add more boiling water if necessary.
Nutrition Information Panel
|Per Serving [4 Serves]|
|- saturated fat||0.3g|