Pan Frying and Deep Frying
Pan frying uses a non-stick pan or very little oil.
- Use the correct size pan and don't put in too many vegetables at once.
- Heat pan to the correct temperature before adding vegetables.
- Drain vegetables on absorbent paper if necessary.
Deep frying uses enough oil to cover the item being deep fried. Use in home cooking to make vegetable crips, or tempura battered vegetables.
Always use fresh clean oil and check the smoke point of the oil to ensure it is suitable for deep frying.
- Heat the oil to the correct temperature before adding vegetables. (chips should be cooked at 175ºC for 3-4 minutes – see www.chipgroup.co.nz for more tips on how to deep fry chips).
- Coat or batter vegetables, except chips, before adding to the oil.
- Batch cook vegetables and return the oil to the correct temperature before adding the next batch.
- Drain on absorbent paper.